At the Grave of Joseph Brodsky

Vadim Besprozvany vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Tue Feb 3 20:19:17 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers,

I'm struggling to translate into Russian "At the Grave of Joseph
Brodsky" by Andrew Motion. There is one phrase in the poem that gives
me real trouble: "your undisputed stone." Here is the whole stanza:

The instant I arrive
At your undisputed stone
I slip back twenty years
Across the tense lagoon
[etc.]

Besides Russian translation of the phrase, I will really appreciate
any explanations, synonymic constructions, etc. Fiction and/or
non-fiction intertexts would be especially welcomed.

Thank you in advance!

Vadim Besprozvany

PS: I'm familiar with Russian translation of the poem, but my friend
and colleague, who asked me to do this project, is not very happy with
this variant:)