Why no Cyrillic?

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Thu Feb 5 22:59:41 UTC 2009

Apropos not using Cyrillic when one can.

	I remember as a graduate student in the 60's that most graduate
courses in Russian
literature, linguistics were taught in English, even when the
professor's native language
was Russian and he spoke with a visible accent  (the exception was
NYU).  Everyone in
the class was a grad student pursing an advanced degree in Russian
literature of
linguistics, and I could never figure this out.  This certainly wasn't
the case in French, Spanish and German.  Perhaps some of our younger
colleagues
can answer this:  is this still the case, and if so, why?

George Kalbouss