Modern Languages PhD Studentships and Bursaries at the University of Exeter , UK

Lygo, Emily E.F.Lygo at EXETER.AC.UK
Fri Feb 6 09:35:04 UTC 2009

Modern Languages PhD Studentships and Bursaries
Deadline: 20 March 2009
Interview dates: 20 and 21 April 2009

The Department of Modern Languages at the University of Exeter is offering excellent funding opportunities for exceptional researchers across a range of subjects. We are offering:

*       Five PhD Studentships: all fees paid for three years plus an annual maintenance grant equivalent to the AHRC per year for three years. In 2008/09 this was £12,940, the 2009/10 grant will be announced later in the year.

*       13 PhD Bursaries: £7,000 per year for three years. Bursary recipients will be required to carry out 80 hours support work a year within the School in the form of teaching, research support or as International Ambassador.

The Department of Modern Languages is one of the UK's leading centres for teaching and research in French, German, Hispanic, Interdisciplinary, Italian, Medieval, Russian, Film, and Sexuality and Gender Studies. Our research covers critical theory, culture, history, linguistics and literature, and we have cross-disciplinary strengths in a number of areas, including Linguistics, Film, Medieval Studies, the Study of Sexuality and Gender, and Translation Studies.

Modern Languages welcomes applications for Doctoral research across the full range of our research areas, including for practice-based doctorates in Film and Translation. We also welcome research proposals to be undertaken in collaboration with another department at Exeter (e.g. with English, History, International Relations, etc). The Department's excellence in research was confirmed in the results of the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, in which more than 80% of our work was recognised internationally in terms of its originality, significance and rigour.

Visit www.exeter.ac.uk/languages for more information.

Dr Emily Lygo
Lecturer in Russian
University of Exeter