Why no Cyrillic?

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Sat Feb 7 16:01:46 UTC 2009

*My least favorite is the variant where character entities appear as
ampersand-numeric code-semicolon. *

I can offer some hope to Paul Gallagher and anyone else who has gotten
ampersand-numeric code gibberish for Cyrillic. Of all the failed encodings
(like =d0=bc or question marks), this one is the easiest to cure.

In any text processor, (like Windows Notepad) create a baby-webpage by enter
the following:

<head>
</head>
Paste the garbage here. For example the first five lower case letters of the
Russian alphabet:
абвгд.

Then, in between the <body> and </body> lines, replace my dummy text the
ampersand-formed Cyrillic that you got in by e-mail. Save the file as text
(encoding doesn't matter). Then open it with any web browser. The Cyrillic
will read perfectly.

If course if you use a full-fledged word processor like Mixrosoft Word,
remember to save the file as text (again, the encoding doesn't matter), not
a Word document.
--
Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program