Why no Cyrillic?

Sat Feb 7 17:39:00 UTC 2009

Richard Robin wrote:

[quoting me without attribution:]
> My least favorite is the variant where character entities appear as
> ampersand-numeric code-semicolon.
>
> I can offer some hope to Paul Gallagher and anyone else who has gotten
> ampersand-numeric code gibberish for Cyrillic. Of all the failed encodings
> (like =d0=bc or question marks), this one is the easiest to cure.

I know perfectly well how to cure it, and you give an excellent
description of the procedure.

However, this isn't the /easiest/ one to solve; several forms of garble
require me to simply change the encoding in my email program. No
copy/pasting, no launching another application, no saving and loading in
a different program, nothing but a quick menu option. Click-click and
I'm done, if you've sent a KOI8-R message and mislabeled it as Western.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com