Homeschooling Russian

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Sun Feb 8 22:19:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 16:16:42 -0500
  "Rozov, Mr. Aleksander" <ar14433n at PACE.EDU> wrote:
> I do not feel like creating a long discussion about the
>"methodology," because it seems that the given argument is based on
>conflict of interests. But few things I will mention for the sake of
>"ликбез."

The "argument" is not based on conflict of interest, and the
discussion on methodology was sparked by some rather obnoxiously
sweeping statement that all traditional methods or textbooks "have
been proven to be ineffective."

> My advise is based upon experience, which have proven to be a great
>success with kids and adults.
If you're going to claim experience, please be specific. You are
addressing a list where some people have 20-30 years experience
teaching Russian (and other languages), and we have not failed
miserably at it in spite of those awful ineffective methods. Some of
us have
even taught high school and other kids. We all take great pride in our
work -- so experience is really quite relative.

Alina, the Berlitz method wasn't being "bashed," except maybe in
response to its being advocated as the only answer, and the sweeping
statements above.

Berlitz DID have things to teach the profession, but those things
("immersion," "practical" language, speaking in the target language,
faux "real-life situations") have been incorporated into any decent
language textbook and class ages ago.

I had a similar experience to yours, Alina, except the processes were
not so completely opposed to one another and not mutually exclusive. I
did not un-learn things from one because of the other. I mention this
only because now I am a Russian and sometimes French professor of 20+
years just like you, so again, whose experience is The Truth? It's all
anecdotal.

The mother did not ask for conversational Russian, she asked for help
with a course or curriculum. She wants explicitly to prepare the child
for future courses in high school and college. The notion that
language textbooks are still nothing but rote conjugation and
declension and impede conversation is silly, and people who teach that
way no longer
keep their posts. As a 20-year veteran of the pedagogy wars in French,
I think we can get beyond them.

That said, Kerry's request and her situation are unique. The child
will not necessarily learn the way our students do. Kerry, you said
the child was not child-like in that respect but you alone can judge
this. I know of no decent texts aimed at that age level (because this
country generally does not teach Russian at that level) but perhaps I
am wrong.

We ALL agree the child needs a tutor, preferably at this stage a
native tutor. But a native tutor without core materials and some plan
will be a waste of money.

I do think the child DOES need a core textbook, preferably one with an
extensive audio and video program. Of the three Kerry mentioned, I do
not know Face to Face, the one presumably geared to school and not
college. My opinion is that I prefer _Golosa_ because the thematic
units focus on usable materials, but it would have to be used
sparingly and judiciously for a child. Kerry, you should look at those
three textbooks (not the online materials) to see which one has the
best topics and themes for what you want to do.

The text could be used with great emphasis on the audio and video
programs. The grammar could be done quite slowly (the kid has time
before college) while the spoken parts could be emphasized and the
grammar provided as back-up. if the tutor is creative, there could be
lots of extra materials - work with colors when colors appear in the
textbook etc.. There are lots of beautiful Russian tales a kid might
appreciate, as well as cartoons and videos. Cheburashka is even on
YouTube.

Bottom line, Kerry, this is a major undertaking I doubt we'll have a
good solid unique answer. If you can find a native tutor locally,
maybe someone who works as adjunct in a local school or college, start
with that, but have materials in hand that you have looked over.

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian
Wheaton College