Homeschooling Russian

Ajda Kljun ajda.kljun at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 8 23:18:19 UTC 2009

Dear Seelangs people,

I think an important distinction hasn't been made: it makes a difference if
we are talking about a child whose foreign language acquisition skills are
more or less average, or if it is a child who has "an amazing facility with
languages", quoting the mother. I am no expert on this field, but I thought
that my personal experience might contribute to the discussion.

I started conciously learning English when I was about nine. I remember
watching Oprah and comparing what she said to the subtitles. My favourite
part was when she had to repeat the same thought twice because of an
advertisement break. Shortly after that, I started exploring of the world of
computer games, where I could connect the pictures to the words
under them. At the age of twelve, I made my first steps in the world of the
Internet, using chat rooms and penpal websites to communicate with other
kids. At approximately the same time, I started learning English in school
but my vocabulary was far more advanced than what we were learning and I
somehow already knew the grammar rules 'by ear'. We usually used the same
workbook for two years of lessons; in the first three weeks, I read all the
texts and did the interesting activities, than sat there bored out of my
mind for the rest of the time.

What I want to say is that for a very gifted - and motivated - child,
workbooks are often too slow. He needs lots of interesting material that he
can quickly go through and a teacher who will give him all his attention,
putting emphasis on pronunciation and conversation skills. Or at least, I'm
sure that's what I would have loved as a child :)

With kind regards,
Ajda Kljun.