Prague school theories of standard language

Keith Langston langston at UGA.EDU
Tue Feb 17 15:47:29 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers,

A number of linguists who have written about Prague School approaches
to language standardization/language culture refer to the concept of
the "autonomy" of the standard language. I have been searching
through writings by Havránek, Mathesius, and others, and while they
obviously treat the standard language as a distinct variety, I
haven't been able to find any explicit statement about "autonomy" as
a general characteristic of standard languages. It appears that some
of these linguists writing about the Prague School are using
"autonomy" to mean slightly different things, so I was hoping to find
the original source of this concept. Can anyone direct me to a
reference?

Thanks,

Keith Langston

Keith Langston
Associate Professor of Slavic Studies and Linguistics
Undergraduate Advisor
Dept. of Germanic and Slavic Studies
University of Georgia
201 Joseph E. Brown Hall