Prague school theories of standard language

Svetlana Malykhina mlsvetka at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 17:39:35 UTC 2009

Since 1920s, the specificity of language functions compared to general cognitive functions had been researched by Otto Jespersen and Karl Buhler. Their research laid the ground for the idea of a language ("langue")  has an autonomous existence as a self-consistent structure, which belongs to Ferdinand de Saussure. In his Course in General Linguistics (1916) he distinguished "langue," the system and rules of langauge, from 'parole" or speech. Thsi idea was later developed by structuralism. so, within structuralism language is understood as an autonomous system too.