HA: [SEELANGS] public reading of diary as literary trope

Olga Bukhina obukhina at ACLS.ORG
Sat Feb 21 22:39:52 UTC 2009

If you need an American example, Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (1964) is a good example of reading someone's diary to these who are criticized in the diary.

Olga Bukhina
ANerican Council of Learned Societies
obukhina at acls.org

________________________________

От: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list от имени Gabriella Safran
Отправлено: Сб, 21.02.2009 11:55
Кому: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Тема: [SEELANGS] public reading of diary as literary trope

Dear Colleagues,
I'm writing about a 1910 story in which someone's diary is discovered and
read aloud to an audience, including those whom the writer had been
privately criticizing.  This scene feels familiar to me, as though I had
read something like it elsewhere, but right now I can't think of any
examples of it in Russian or European literature.  Can any of you think of
an example of this?
gratefully,
Gabriella

--