Russian Drinking Song

Sibelan Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Sun Feb 22 18:01:02 UTC 2009

E Wayles Browne wrote:
 > I can now see that there are two meanings to the phrase "drinking
song" [...]

There's also a third kind of drinking song that doesn't involve drinking
at all: the kind of song a person will start to sing spontaneously when
they're drunk and sad. "Chernyj voron" seems to fall into this category;
my informants tell me that the equivalent for women could be anything
about unhappy love ("Ja v sadochke byla," "Tonkaja rjabina").

This probably doesn't fit the original query, however.

SF