FW: sad news - latest "Memorial" press release

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Feb 26 14:03:44 UTC 2009

As I understand it, the matter has been returned to the original court for a second hearing, which may or may not result in the same outcome.  There is, as it happens, an interesting parallel.  The appeal by the British Council against a vast tax demand was largely successful at the first hearing, but on appeal that case was also sent back for a second hearing on a trivial technicality.  On that occasion the lower court confirmed its original decision.  But it was a different type of court in a different city.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anna Reid <annareid01 at BTINTERNET.COM>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:39:42 +0000
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] FW: sad news - latest "Memorial" press release

Dear Robert - Sorry to be stupid but my legal Russian ain't so great. Does this mean they have overturned the raion court's ruling, or just that they have allowed an appeal? And do we have any idea where things will go from here? Hope all's going well (I much look forward to 'Everything Flows') and all the best - Anna.

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna