FW: sad news - latest "Memorial" press release

Thu Feb 26 14:48:24 UTC 2009

Anna Reid wrote:

> Dear Robert - Sorry to be stupid but my legal Russian ain't so great.
> Does this mean they have overturned the raion court's ruling, or
> just that they have allowed an appeal? And do we have any idea where
> things will go from here? Hope all's going well (I much look forward
> to 'Everything Flows') and all the best - Anna.

This part (my sight translation) is very clear:

>> 24 февраля городской суд Санкт-Петербурга удовлетворил кассационное
>> представление прокуратуры на постановление Дзержинского районного
>> суда от 20 января....

On February 24, the St. Petersburg Municipal Court granted the
prosecutor's appeal of the Dzerzhinsky District Court's decision of
January 20....

>> Городской суд отменил это постановление на том основании, что в
>> суде первой инстанции не был достаточно исследован вопрос о
>> полномочиях адвоката Габуния, явившегося на обыск, представлять
>> интересы «Мемориала». Дело направлено на новое рассмотрение в тот
>> же суд, который будет слушать его в новом составе. Дата повторного
>> рассмотрения пока не назначена.

The Municipal Court reversed that decision on the basis that the trial
court had not sufficiently investigated the authority [i.e., power of
attorney -- pbg] of attorney Gabuniya, who appeared for the search, to
represent Memorial's interests. The case was remanded for a new hearing
to the same court, which will hear it with a fresh panel. The date of
the new hearing has not yet been set.

>> Таким образом, предыдущее судебное решение о возвращении изъятых
>> материалов законному владельцу аннулировано. Жесткие диски
>> компьютеров, содержащие результаты двадцатилетней работы НИЦ
>> «Мемориал» (СПб), – уникальные базы данных по истории сталинского
>> террора, - по-прежнему остаются в распоряжении прокуратуры. В
>> результате исследовательская и просветительная работа научного
>> центра в Петербурге в значительной степени парализована.

Thus, the previous court decision returning the confiscated materials to
their lawful owner was vacated. The computer hard disks containing the
results of 20 years' work by Memorial St. Petersburg -- a unique
database on the history of the Stalinist terror -- still remain in the
prosecutor's possession. As a result, the St. Petersburg research
center's investigative and educational work is largely paralyzed.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com