FW: sad news - latest "Memorial" press release

Boris Dagaev boris.dagaev at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 04:55:13 UTC 2009

> a unique database on the history of the Stalinist terror -- still remain
in the prosecutor's possession. As a result,
> the St. Petersburg research center's investigative and educational work is
largely paralyzed.

I am sympathetic with the cause and readily admit that I don't know enough
details, but can't help thinking: this particular statement about government
induced paralysis sounds a bit like a purposeful tearjerker. Didn't they
make a copy of the database on a server abroad? Or am I being too
simplistic?