FW: [SEELANGS] contemporary Russian fiction

Furman, Yelena yfurman at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Wed Jan 7 23:41:40 UTC 2009

Dear all,
Since a number of you asked that I post the responses to my query to the list, here's what I have thus far, and an ogromnoe spasibo to all who gave the suggestions (and Ben, who sent the syllabus!):

First, a source for contemporary translated texts that got the most mentions:
Glas: New Russian Writing  http://www.glas.msk.su/ <http://www.glas.msk.su/>

Someone else mentioned a Russian literary site that lists its picks for contemporary fiction (as well as poetry and non-fiction)

http://www.openspace.ru/literature/projects/122/details/7202/page1/ - however, this won't tell you whether these texts been translated into English.

Specific titles that some of you suggested, both early and late post-Soviet:

Pelevin:  Yellow Arrow, Ontology of Childhood, Werewolf Problem in Central Russia (to this I would add Omon Ra, which my students always love).

Viktor Erofeev:  "Life with an Idiot"

Sorokin: A Business Proposition, Four Stout Hearts

Andrei Volos, Hurramabad

Vladimir Makanin: "Prisoner from the Caucasus"

Not surprisingly, a lot of women writers:

Petrushevskaia, The Time: Night

Vasilenko, Shamara

Ulitskaia: Angel; Funeral Party; Medea and her Children

Tolstaia.  The Slynx - several people suggested this one (although, in all fairness, I must say that I could barely finish it myself, so I'm not sure I want to put my poor students through this!  Apologies to all the Tolstaia fans out there.)

Nina Gabrielian:  "Master of the Grass"

Dina Rubina: "On Upper Maslovka"

Anastasiia Gosteva:  "Closed Americas"

One of you said "When it appears in English, Slavnikova's _2017_ ( Marian Schwartz is doing a translation)" and also her "Krylov's Childhood"

Other suggestions for "other" texts: Akunin, Marinina, Robski

THANK YOU TO ALL!
Best, Lena