Fiction suggestions

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Jan 9 14:17:43 UTC 2009

Paul's post reminded me of the marvelous online journal "Words Without
Borders," specializing in translations of literature from around the world.
(www.wordswithoutborders.org) If you go to the section on Europe, sorted by
country, you'll find dozens of contemporary Russian titles, as well as many
translations from other Slavic literatures.
(http://www.wordswithoutborders.org/?sec=Europe&order=Country) They also
have all kinds of other resources, historical, biographical, cultural, as
well as a growing body of lesson plans and study guides.

Cheers,
David Powelstock

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Richardson
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 6:04 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Fiction suggestions

Yelena (and others):

May I humbly recommend our quarterly journal, Chtenia, which I believe
is the only regularly published journal of Russian fiction in English
translation. Each issue features 10-12 fresh translations of Russian
fiction and non-fiction, all centered around a chosen theme. The
majority of the selections are fiction and are a good mix of
contemporary and classic writers. So we have Slavnikova alongside
Gogol, Sorokin alongside Tolstoy... A good way for students to get a
taste of a wide swath of literature and then follow up on someone they
discover there.

To see past tables of contents or to subscribe or order back issues,
go to:

http://www.chtenia.com

Thanks,

Paul Richardson