conversation group routines

Stuart Goldberg stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU
Sat Jan 17 16:58:14 UTC 2009

It all depends on the specific material and your own imagination.  For
instance, my second-year class is working on a unit with comparatives.
So the other day, I split them in pairs and challenged them to
"perekhvastat' drug druga" (having modeled a few examples of boasts
using comparatives, but not insisting on anything).  After about 10
minutes of this, we listened to each student's favorite boast.  Then we
voted for best "kvastun."

My favorite activity of all time, which works very well for first year
(clothing, adjectives, objects), is borrowed from my teacher at
Williams, Don Singleton.  You arrange for an advanced student to burst
into the room with a toy gun and execute a hold-up (in Russian, of
course).  Then you change roles and play the police officer, pushing the
students to give the most detailed possible description of the thief and
what he took.  I once played the thief for a colleague with my then
2-year-old daughter in my arms.  Kaif!

Regards,
Stuart Goldberg