Lingro on-screen translation now available in Russian

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Mon Jan 19 20:50:34 UTC 2009

Wow! That's some site! It's one more site that makes us think about the
meaning of literacy and reading proficiency. My own feelings are quite mixed
on this subject. On the one hand, there's something in my bones, both as a
teacher and an item writer for proficiency tests, that says No dictionaries!
No outside help! On the other hand, if we define certain aspects of
proficiency as the ability to extract information from a text (a different
task than reading for pleasure or general edification), then a site like
lingro or an expert translation bot casts a whole new light on what that
skill entails.

And hard copy is not immune. Got a long article to read? Scan it. No
scanner? Get out a cellphone camera and send it to Evernote for conversion
to text (English only for now).

Eventually technology will kill the meaning of the entire lower part of the
proficiency reading scale.

-Rich Robin

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Edie Furniss <furnisse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
> I just found out that Lingro's on-screen translation tool is now available
> in Russian:
>
> http://lingro.com/
>
> Users can save the words they click on into word lists, which Lingro can
> then quiz them on in a flashcard format.
>
> I wrote a short review of Lingro on my "Teaching Russian as a Foreign
> Language + CALL" blog:
>
> http://ediefurniss.edublogs.org/
>

> Edie Furniss
> MA Candidate Teaching a Foreign Language - Russian
> Monterey Institute of International Studies '10

Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052