SEELANGS Administrivia - (was Re: Pozor Rossii)

Alex Rudd alex.rudd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 06:55:30 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers,

I honestly feel like I remind everyone of the following every five
minutes, but I just checked to be sure, and it's been nearly two
years.  Here we go again, for the benefit of people who have forgotten
or recently subscribed (and failed to read the Welcome message very
closely).

In light of the subject matter of recent discussions, I'm taking this
opportunity to post (without too much comment) an excerpt from the
SEELANGS Welcome message sent to every new subscriber.  Please pay
special attention to the very last paragraph.

---------- Begin ----------

SEELANGS exists to facilitate discussion of topics of interest to
teachers and students of Russian and other Slavic and East
European languages and literatures.  Use the list in furtherance of
that general goal.  But please, do not treat SEELANGS or its
members with disrespect.  Profanity is not welcome, nor is language
which demeans or belittles other people or groups of
people.  It is further expected that list members will conduct
themselves in a mature and polite manner towards fellow list
members.  "Flames" will not be tolerated.  The list owner reserves the
right to take any action he feels appropriate to ensure the
smooth operation of the list.

<snip>

List Guidelines
off-list people who violate the guidelines and request that they
comply thereafter.

Use of the List
~~~~~~~~~~~
There are many people subscribed to SEELANGS. Most are instructors or
students of one type or another, and all of them presumably have some
interest in Slavic Languages and Literatures. List members' specific
areas of interest vary, as does the knowledge they bring to our
discussions. Please remember that every other list member is deserving
of your respect, and conduct yourself accordingly when posting.

Specifically, remember that "Slavic Languages and Literatures" is what
brings people to this list, yet not every post will contain a question
or comment fitting neatly under that heading. If you are concerned
that someone has posted something falling, in your opinion, too far
from the central purpose of the list, do not write to the entire list
to express your displeasure. Instead, first understand that there must
be some amount of wiggle room on a list like SEELANGS, as there will
be small differences in what subscribers expect to see here. If you
are new to
the list, please observe for awhile to see the uses to which most
members put it.

If you must voice your opposition to the fact that a given subject has
been raised on the list, please write directly to the list owners, as
they will be in a position to take action, or explain why taking
action is not warranted. The list owners can be reached by writing to:

SEELANGS-Request at BAMA.UA.EDU

For purposes of clarification, please note that the discussion of
discrete political matters is not welcome on SEELANGS. However, as
political and other concerns have influenced Slavic Languages and
Literatures, if posting on such a theme, use common sense and
recognize when your contribution has ceased to be about aiding
linguistic comprehension, and has begun to be purely political.
There are many other discussion lists and similar on-line discussion
forums that exist solely for the discussion of politics, and you
should not confuse SEELANGS with them.

---------- End ----------

Your cooperation is appreciated.

If you would like to review the entire Welcome message, you can send
the command:

GET SEELANGS WELCOME

in the body of e-mail to:  LISTSERV at BAMA.UA.EDU

and LISTSERV will mail you a copy.

Please do not reply to this message on the list.  Any questions or
comments should be directed to me at the list owners' address:

SEELANGS-Request at BAMA.UA.EDU

Thank you.

- Alex, list owner of SEELANGS
--
Alex Rudd
List owner e-mail: seelangs-request at bama.ua.edu
Personal e-mail: Alex.Rudd at gmail.com
http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/
Any opinion expressed above is not necessarily shared by my employers.