SEELANGS: Gogol as Realist

Andrey Shcherbenok avs2120 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Jan 21 19:59:09 UTC 2009

If I am not mistaken, Gogol was proclaimed the father of the so-called
"Natural School" by Belinsky; "Natural School", in its turn, was often
understood as realism par excellence (their manifest was "Fisiologia
Peterbugra", a collection of ethnographic essays of the city). Thus, Trotsky
is not very original here. Later on, the main Soviet work of Gogol's realism
is Gukovsky's "Realism Gogolia", written in the 1940s, if I am not mistaken.

Best,
Andrey

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Kirsty McCluskey
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:53 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] SEELANGS: Gogol as Realist

Hello all

I am currently polishing up a commented translation of a very early article
by Trotsky, published in 1902 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Gogol's
death.  Throughout the piece, Trotsky consistently refers to Gogol as a
Realist; indeed, as the Father of the Realist School.  As one who knows
Trotsky somewhat better than I know Gogol studies (although I know Gogol's
output well), this strikes me as an odd descriptor.

I wonder, can anyone tell me whether this is consistent with contemporary
views on Gogol?  Did the great minds of 1902 indeed see Gogol not only as a
Realist, but as *the* Realist?

Best wishes
Kirsty McCluskey

--
http://kirstyjane.wordpress.com

Vulpes Libris
A collective of bibliophiles writing about books
http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com