SEELANGS: Gogol as Realist

Kirsty McCluskey kirsty.mccluskey at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 21 19:53:06 UTC 2009

Hello all

I am currently polishing up a commented translation of a very early article
by Trotsky, published in 1902 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Gogol's
death.  Throughout the piece, Trotsky consistently refers to Gogol as a
Realist; indeed, as the Father of the Realist School.  As one who knows
Trotsky somewhat better than I know Gogol studies (although I know Gogol's
output well), this strikes me as an odd descriptor.

I wonder, can anyone tell me whether this is consistent with contemporary
views on Gogol?  Did the great minds of 1902 indeed see Gogol not only as a
Realist, but as *the* Realist?

Best wishes
Kirsty McCluskey

--
http://kirstyjane.wordpress.com

Vulpes Libris
A collective of bibliophiles writing about books
http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com