Translations for endearing suffixes?

Thu Jan 22 11:37:51 UTC 2009

Lisa Gulya wrote:

> Another question: how to translate the words "polzalki" and "lazalki"?
> (The woman was talking about those kids rec rooms, similar to
> McDonald's playlands.) I tried ABBYY Lingvo and multitran.ru with no
> luck. Google images shows some sort of playground equipment...
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

The generic term for these sorts of things seems to be "playsets." Based
on images I found on the web for лазалки, I would call it a "jungle
gym," though there's also a related, more specific term "monkey bars."

<http://images.google.com/images?q=jungle+gym&btnG=Search+Images>
<http://images.google.com/images?q=monkey+bars&btnG=Search+Images>

I wasn't able to find enough images of "ползалки" to get a clear idea of
what it is. I assume you don't intend the computer sense....

And of course my local McDonald's has a "ball bath," if that's what you
want....

<http://images.google.com/images?q=%22ball+bath%22+play&btnG=Search+Images>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.