Well, I HAVE LEARNED WELL!

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu Jan 22 16:40:22 UTC 2009

It is unfortunate that we feel the need to get angry at each other,
but that message was off-list and I cannot comment on that. I agree
with your position in principle, ...

HOWEVER, I think this needs to drop off-list and people can continue
discussing it off-list if they wish. Alex (the owner of SEELangs) has
kindly reminded us that most of this thread is in fact off-topic.

Alex, point taken, but I do have one comment.
While I appreciate your wanting to keep us out of purely political
squabbles, the fact is that in Russian language and politics are never
far apart. For many of us, teaching language or literature has
required fielding pretty constant questions about Russian culture and
politics, and about cross-perceptions between the two. I know that
these discussions have arisen before and have been (wisely) left to go
on for a while. I know you have a fine line to tread, one we cross
routinely and with varying degrees of excitability. So I am grateful
that you did not stop this particular discussion earlier.
-FR

  The discussion about P.C. language was fraught with ideology, but
because it was ostensibly about language it went on and on.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 02:45:34 -0800
  Anyse Joslin <anyse1 at MAC.COM> wrote:
> Today, I received what I would call the most angry and out of
>control  message from someone here who does not like my views about
>relations  between Russia and the US. I am neither an apologist for
>the evils of  Soviet Russia nor for the evils of the US. Each is
>flawed and each  works very hard to color their own history as best
>as they can. I  cannot write forever about how evil everyone WAS. I
>am only writing  about how each country can work TODAY to be better
>and to work  together better and to better their relations. What a
>Russia did under  Stalin is NOT what Russia does TODAY. Nor does what
>the US did in its  process of genocide with Native Americans is not
>what it does TODAY. I  do not know if I shall write again about
>seeking peace between nations  when I will be accosted for it by
>someone who read what I wrote here.  I believe that this place is
>supposed to be "safe" for such discussion  and, unfortunately, I am
>learning differently.
>
> I do not mind if someone RATIONALLY disagrees with me and wants to
> "discuss" it the same way. However, a crazed message accusing me of
> "excusing" all of the past "evils" of the Soviet Union does not fit
> this type of discourse. I am reminded of a line from a song: "Do not
> remind me of my failures. I have not forgotten." I have not
>forgotten  all history and I do not approve of evils of the past.
>However, we do  need to move beyond all of this to something more
>positively  universal. Maybe I am nieve. I don't really think so,
>though.
>
> I would appreciate your input about this. Should I write as I have
>or  should I just forget it?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anyse
>
> Anyse Joslin
> 9515 Kellingworth Court
> Sacramento, CA   95827
> anyse1 at mac.com
> SKYPE: anyse1
> 916 364.1743

>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
>at:

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian