Razbushevat'sia

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Jan 25 16:11:13 UTC 2009

Monosyllabic noun have a great potential. Since there is a familiar
to all canned fish (yes, I know, it doesn't have to be canned, but
non-canned doesn't have a name tag) called GORBUSHA http://
www.prodos.ru/pictures/gorbusha.jpg, that was a nice foundation for a
cartoon in 2000 when the elections were not settled for a while. And
it was used in press for some time: http://old.russ.ru/politics/
events/20001110_belyakov.html
http://www.vedomosti.ru/newspaper/article.shtml?2000/11/09/22464

On Jan 24, 2009, at 10:59 PM, Ben Rifkin wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers:
>
> What I meant by my reference to Turgenev would have best been
> accomplished
> by a wink and a nudge in connection with what for me was a totally
> new use
> of a verb.  I’d never seen this verb used before in a context in
> which there
> was a reference to the former president of the US and I thought it
> was a
> very clever pun on the part of the article’s author.  This is what
> made me
> think of Turgenev.
>
> Best regards to all,
>
> BR