suppletion

Wed Jul 1 05:08:56 UTC 2009

Olga Meerson wrote:

> .... Herein lies the difference between what Frank studies and what
> you, Elena, teach. You teach Russian as a bunch of rules for correct
> use. Frank -- like, say, Jakobson whom he cites -- studies Russian as
> a language EMPIRICALLY used and capable of forming whole paradigms
> out of various instances of "incorrect usage" -- not what language
> ought to be but what it is, in dialects and various "illegitimate"
> but empirically existing forms and versions. Frank, I would love to
> have a clarification of what suppletion really means: everything I
> have said here is based on my surmises. based in turn on your entry.
> Perhaps you may enlighten me as to whether I am completely off the
> mark? o.m.

As /I/ understand the term, it means a process whereby unrelated words
come to be used in a complementary arrangement to form a single
paradigm. Thus, the plural of человек is the unrelated form люди, and
the singular of люди is the unrelated form человек. Words like
время/времени and child/children do not qualify as suppletives because
they are etymologically related (even if that relationship has become
murky over time). Similarly, говорить/сказать and брать/взять are
suppletive, but принять/принимать are not.

As for what the speaker/learner does as he constructs his internal model
of the language, that's an open question. Some may choose to treat
принять/принимать as unrelated and simply memorize the two forms; others
may try to see a pattern in this pair and several other similar pairs. I
think it unlikely that any Russian learner could possibly see a "rule"
or "pattern" in a pair like человек/люди; such paradigms must simply be
memorized, like ем, ешь, ест....

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com