suppletion

Elena A. Arkhipova rkikafedra at nilc.spb.ru
Wed Jul 1 06:37:58 UTC 2009

Dear Olga,
I do understand that empirically those forms Frank mentioned could exist.
What I tried to say is that in case of "vremja - vremeni" (and words alike)
there is a whole sub-system, so to say, sub-stem. In dialects, as they have
their own grammar systems, other forms could exist, of course. So I was not
talking about standarts and rules (though dare say that dialect systems can
be considered standarts as well). As to suppletion as it is, like
"rebjonok - deti", I haven't mentioned it.
But the sub-stem in question is a part of the system, and I think even when
the empirically possible forms appear they look not like a part of regular
stem.
Thank you for discussion!
Sincerely yours,
Elena.

Elena A. Arkhipova, PhD, MBA
Chair of Department of
Russian as a Foreign Language,
Program Coordinator
Nevsky Institute of  Language and Culture
27 Bolshaya Raznochinnaya
St. Petersburg, 197110, Russia
tel./fax: +7 812 230 36 98