Chekhov in the works of others

Katy Sosnak katy_sosnak at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jul 15 18:04:47 UTC 2009

Dear Yelena,

    If you're looking for something outside of the Russian tradition,
there's always the popular Japanese author, Haruki Murakami. In interviews
he cites Chekhov as one of his major influences and often mentions him in
his novels; two that specifically come to mind are "South of the Border,
West of the Sun" and "Kafka on the Shore." I taught the former in a class in
which we also read "Dama s sobachkoi" and it worked well; the students
really enjoyed it. I hope this helps!

Best,
Katy Sosnak