No subject

Chew G G.Chew at RHUL.AC.UK
Mon Jul 20 22:21:12 UTC 2009

I've received the attached from Prof. Gabrielova in Prague, and think it worth circulating widely, in view of the seriousness of the matter. Please do circulate.  The original message had an attachment (referred to in the text below), which I've removed, as some lists will not tolerate it: it had a simple graph showing a reduction in support year by year from 5 billion Czech crowns in 2009 to zero in 2015.

Geoff

 Prof. Geoffrey Chew
 Department of Music, Royal Holloway, University of London
 g.chew at rhul.ac.uk

________________________________

From: Jarmila Gabrielova [mailto:gabrielova at imus.cas.cz]
Sent: Mon 20.7.09 21:48
Subject: FW: Czech Academy of Sciences calls SOS

Dear colleagues,
Dear friends,

Allow me to address you again and to ask you for your support.
Because of the irresponsible policy of our Government and its Research &
Development Council, the existence of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech
Republic (ASCR) and its individual institutes, departments, and long-term
projects seems to be jeopardized.
The problem concerns our small Institute of Ethnology and its Department of
Music History as well. If the catastrophic scenario becomes reality (see the
attached picture), we'll be forced to stop publishing our internationally
respected musicological journal "Hudebni veda" [Musicology] and to suspend
our long-term editorial projects of the New Complete Edition of the Works of
Antonin Dvorak [New Dvorak Edition, NDE, www.antonindvorak.org], theoretical
and folkloristic works of Leos Janacek, and the re-established publication
series of "Musica antiqua bohemica."
We still hope that the catastrophic scenario will not become reality at the
end. At the same time, we urgently need your support and help.
Please don't hesitate to demonstrate your support by adding your electronic
signature under the "Position of the Academic Community on the Future of
Research and Development in the Czech Republic" (see http://www.cas.cz/en ->
Support Czech Science) and by forwarding my appeal to other colleagues,
friends, and members of the international academic community.

With all best wishes and thanks

Sincerely

Jarmila Gabrielova

Prof. Dr. Jarmila Gabrielova