Contemporary Russian architecture/housing structure

Jane Costlow jcostlow at BATES.EDU
Thu Jul 30 15:32:43 UTC 2009

Olga,

I'm actually working on readings for a course on place and senses of
identity this fall - and while I haven't yet read it, there's a chapter
in Caroline Humphrey's The Unmaking of Soviet Life that looks quite
promising:  "The Villas of the New Russians: A Sketch of Consumption and
Cultural Identity in post-Soviet Landscapes". (pub. 2002)

Blaire Ruble also has very interesting material on city planning and
khrushcheby.  You might also look at the wonderful website on Soviet
History, Seventeen Moments - which includes video clips about the
construction of panel'nye doma, and some Soviet cartoons, increasingly
disaffected with the housing.  http://www.soviethistory.org/  (Look at
1956: Housing Construction under Khrushchev.)

Jane Costlow