question about two works on Russian aspect

Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Jul 30 22:04:06 UTC 2009

Wierzbicka has referred to the example umrzec' (perfective) vs.
umierac' (imperfective) in several works, but I believe the first is:
Wierzbicka, A. (1967). On the semantics of verbal aspect in Polish.
In: To Honor Roman Jakobson, Vol. 3 (pp.2231-2249). The Hague: Mouton.

The idea is: if someone _umiera_, he is doing something which, if it
were continued, would end with umrzec' "dying".

--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu