question about two works on Russian aspect

Valentina Soboleva soboleva at COMCAST.NET
Fri Jul 31 01:01:36 UTC 2009

Yes, it seems so. This is the only work on verbal semantics she wrote. My problem is only that I have a citation in Russian from her work that i read long time ago and have no copy of it with me now. It seems that that article was translated to Russian and probably published in some book.

Thank you very much.

Valentina S.

----- Original Message ---
--
From: "Wayles Browne" <ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:04:06 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] question about two works on Russian aspect

Wierzbicka has referred to the example umrzec' (perfective) vs.
umierac' (imperfective) in several works, but I believe the first is:
Wierzbicka, A. (1967). On the semantics of verbal aspect in Polish.
In: To Honor Roman Jakobson, Vol. 3 (pp.2231-2249). The Hague: Mouton.

The idea is: if someone _umiera_, he is doing something which, if it
were continued, would end with umrzec' "dying".

--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu