Simple Grammar Question

trubikhina at AOL.COM trubikhina at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 18 23:10:41 UTC 2009

You are right: it not a simple question. There are actual multiple
RULES for this, and those of us who treated “Spravochnik Rozenthalia”
as a “livre d'échec” during exams in philological departments might
still remember some of these rules☺ Generally, Genitive case makes
negation stronger. Accusative “weakens” the negation.
Here are some of the rules. For more you might want to consult
Rozhenthal.
ransitive verbs in negative forms require Genitive:
—when there is a so called “partitive Genitive” (food and drinks): On
ne p’yot vina. Ona ne est miasa.
—with verbs of “feeling,” “perception,” “thinking,” and “desire”: On ne
zhelal ee prisutstviia.
—if there is a particle NI or pronoun/adverb starting with NI (e.g.
Nikogda).  e.g "My nikogda ne chuvstvuem strakha. My ne ispytyvaem ni
maleishikh ugryzenij sovesti".
—With verbs “imet’,” “poluchat’,” “dostavat’.”: "On ne dostal biletov."
—with abstract nouns, such as “joy” or “hope”: "On ne pokazyvaet
radosti. On ne teriaet nadezhdy."
—in set expressions, such as “ne davat’ khodu” (actually, here we have
an irregular Genitive), as in “Eugene Onegin”: “Privychke miloi ne dal
khodu.”
—in participle and verbal adverb constructions: “Ne d
oev buterbroda, on
pobezhal na rabotu.”
—In infinitive constructions expressing strict prohibition: “Okon ne
otkryvat’!”
There must be more, but I can’t remember now.

Accusative case is used with transitive verbs:
—the object is an animate noun, especially a proper name: “Ia ne
liubliu Natal’iu.” “On ne zhaleet babushku i ne liubit mamu.”
—with inversion (object stands before the verb): “Knigu etu ia ne
chital I chitat’ ne budu!”
—with “ne ochen’”: Ia ne ochen’ ponimaiu tekst.”
—if the object after the transitive verb is THIS specific object: “I ne
bral den’gi, kotorye ty ostavil na stole.”
—with two negations: “Ty ne mozhesh’ ne pomnit’ etot roman.”
—in set expressions: “Iaitsa kuritsu ne uchat.”
—with the “-nedo” prefix: “nedouchit’ stikhotvorenie.”
I’m sure there is more, but once again, I don’t remember now.

Hope this helps.

Julia

Julia Trubikhina, PhD
New York University