Varya helps Nina avoid arrest in Deti Arbata

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at TEMPLE.EDU
Mon May 11 18:47:53 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers:

I am trying to find a scene in Rybakov¹s novel, Deti Arbata, in which Varya
helps Nina avoid arrest, by arranging for Nina to slip out of Moscow and
travel to the far east, where she will marry her boyfriend and take his last
name and thus avoid the authorities.

I¹ve been looking at the novel for hours now and can¹t find that scene. If
anyone knows where it is, I¹d appreciate very much hearing a suggestion of
which chapter to search in.  I¹m happy to hear in either English or Russian
versions ...

With thanks,

Ben Rifkin