Gender of Russian loan words

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Tue May 12 05:17:34 UTC 2009

Already back in 1991, Orfograficheskii slovar' russkogo iazyka listed kofe as officially having both masculine and neuter genders. Oddly enough, I heard from several people that they have clear combination preferences. They can say "odno kofe," but never "chernoe kofe." I am yet to query them on phrases lke "U nas kofe eshche ostalos'?"