Griasti

Hugh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Tue May 12 13:58:04 UTC 2009

Dear friends and colleagues,
A little more on "griasti."  The verb is, as Ol'ga Meerson quite
rightly says, is of Church Slavonic origin in Russian.  And its use
in Russian has many echoes of that past, some of them spiritual,
ecclesiastical, or elevated, some of them mock-serious, some of them
merely pretentious.
For this reason, the participle "грядущий" isn't quite the
same as "будущий".
In journalism and bureaucratese you can hear a lot of phrases like
"Что нам готовит день (год) грядущий?"
And of course there are fixed phraseologisms like "на сон
грядущий"
In the Church Slavonic Gospels, it is repeatedly used
eschatologically for the   "Coming" of the Lord, but within the
context of  the Church language can also have a more neutral sense
simply of "come," "coming" (Blagosloven Griadushchii / Griadyi vo
imia Gospodne 'blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord').

Etymoiogically it is from the same Indo-European root as is Latin
*gred- (which takes the alternate form *gres- before suffixes
beginning in t- or s-) / *grad-;   as in Engl. "ingredient" (also
from a participle, lit. that which enters into), "aggression,"
"congress," "digress," "progress," "regress," "retrogress," etc. ;
"grade," "gradual," "graduate," "degrade," "degree," etc.
In Russian Church Slavonic and Russian it has the form *griad-," with
the "ia" from a Common Slavic nasal; derived from proto-Slavic *gre-n-
d, an original nasal infix of Indo-European origin sometimes used in
present (or Slavic future-perfective) stems like "*siad-"  (*se-n-d)
'sit down' or "*bud-" (*bu-n-d-) 'be, come into being'.

Back to our original context: "griasti" for dog-walking (Paul
Gallagher's May 11 ""To invite the pack to go for a walk --
Пойдем грясти!").  Does anybody know how this meaning was
perceived in the language of the time?  Was it really a neutral kind
of  walking?  Or was it grandeliquent, mock-serious talk for Man's
Best  Friend, the Venerable Quadruped?

Hugh Olmsted