Gender of Russian loan words

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed May 13 18:18:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:45:29 -0500
  Annie Burke <annis.f.burke at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> We were going over gender of nouns this afternoon, and read in our
> Pulkina textbook from the 80s or 90s that loan words are neuter. But
> then he started asking whether words like музей, библиотека, альбом,
> etc. are neuter. I thought no, of course not! But when I looked in
>my dictionary I found that they were!

Annie, going back to your original question, it bothered me that any
dictionary would list these words as neuter.
In fact, Katzner does NOT indicate that these words are neuter. There
is a little "n." after them but that means "noun." The gender of a
noun is not specified when it's obvious.
So, "biblioteka" is followed by n only.
But the next word, "bibliotekar'," which ends in a soft sign and
presumably could be masculine or feminine (yes, yes, I know "-ar'" is
a masculine ending ...), is followed by n. m,, for "noun, masculine."

AND EVERYONE:
Thanks for the comments on cities and "kofe" -- helpful and
entertaining. It's particularly useful to see how usage favors certain
combinations, i.e. "odno kofe" vs. "cherny kofe."

-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian