Povest' - etymology, thoughts?

Natasha Randall nsrandall at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri May 15 17:35:11 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a discussion about the word
'povest'' and its origins? I'm wondering why the word was used to
describe the thing... I want particularly to understand attitudes
towards the novel in centuries past. I can see how 'roman' came about...

Thank you in advance,
Natasha Randall
Translator