Pasternak and Teilhard de Chardin?

Timothy Sergay tsergay at albany.edu
Fri May 15 20:18:27 UTC 2009

Dear Peter,

In my dissertation I mentioned in passing a remark by Milosz:

Czeslaw Milosz noted Pasternak’s avowed fondness for Teilhard de Chardin
and the “latent ‘Teilhardism’ of Doctor Zhivago: “The French Jesuit also
believed in the Christological character of lay history, and curiously
combined Christianity with the Bergsonian ‘creative evolution’ as well as
with the Hegelian ascending movement.” Among Teilhard’s predecessors,
Milosz mentions “Alexander Blok’s ‘music of history’” and “some pages of
Berdyaev” (2001 [1963], 418-19).

Milosz, Czeslaw. 2001 [1963]. “On Pasternak Soberly.” In "To Begin Where I
Am: Selected Essays." New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 404-20.

I have not pursued this connection since then. I hope this helps.

Tim Sergay