Eastern Orthodox icons placement of

Kenneth Allan kenneth.allan at ULETH.CA
Sat May 23 15:15:04 UTC 2009

Hello SEELANGS list,

I have a couple of questions regarding the placement of Eastern
Orthodox icons. I know they are to be placed in the east corners of
rooms. But is there a more specific location in that corner? Are they
hung ‘anywhere’ in the eastern corner? And why the east corner and not
some other corner?

Some icons are placed straddling the two walls that meet in that
corner, instead of hanging on a single flat wall. What is the purpose
and significance of this unusual placement?

Also, any recommendations of excellent books that deal with the
symbolic and functional operations of icons would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Kenneth Allan

University of Lethbridge