Re] Eastern Orthodox icons placement of icons

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat May 23 23:07:36 UTC 2009

Michele Berdy gives most of the answers to Kenneth Allen's question. I
would add that the eastern orientation of Orthodox churches is not
peculiar to them - most churches, both Orthodox and Catholic, after the
sixth century were built to that orientation where possible, and for the
same biblical reasons. The common position of the icons in the krasnyi
or perednii ugol across the corner diagonally is perhaps explained by
practicality (use of space - there were/are often many icons in several
rows - position of windows), and aesthetics and visibility (a picture
flat on a wall close into a corner is not pleasing or visible from all
parts of the room, or convenient for prayer). It is also the case that
not all areas of Russia followed this custom and that to some extent it
may have depended on local patterns of house design.

On the second part of Kenneth Allen's question - recommendations on
literature about the 'symbolic and functional operations of icons' - by
far the most original, wide-ranging and scholarly study of icons in
Russian culture in recent years is Oleg Tarasov's "Ikona i blagochestie"
(Moscow, 1995), which appeared in English in translation by Robin
Milner-Gulland as "Icon and devotion: sacred spaces in Imperial Russia"
(London, 2002). As well as being a mine of both serious and curious
historical information, documentation, and interpretation, it is also
remarkably well illustrated and refreshingly free of both excessive
religiosity and the more tedious kinds of art history.

Will Ryan