Re] Eastern Orthodox icons placement of icons

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Sun May 24 05:02:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 00:07:36 +0100
  William Ryan <wfr at SAS.AC.UK> wrote:
> Michele Berdy gives most of the answers to Kenneth Allen's question.
>I would add that the eastern orientation of Orthodox churches is not
>peculiar to them - most churches, both Orthodox and Catholic, after
>the sixth century were built to that orientation where possible, and
>for the same biblical reasons.

Indeed, most churches and cathedrals in Christianity (Western too)
were built so that the holiest part and the altar are at the Eastern
end. My colleague in medieval art history says they also would start
building from that end.

Good thing to remember if you're photographing cathedral facades:
great afternoon light.

There is also a theory that this orientation predates Christianity,
and generally has to do with praying to the rising sun.
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian