dialects of Kazakh language

Christopher Pike christopher.alan.pike at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 3 07:53:22 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers,

I am working on a project to create audio tools for the assessment of
language proficiency in Kazakh.  I am aware that there are different
dialects of spoken Kazakh including Northeastern, Southern, and Western
Kazakh.  What I am hoping to determine is whether in testing aural
comprehension proficiency will we need to test using several dialects, or
whether one of the dialects is prominent to the extent where it would be
possible to exclude the others.

Can any of you provide insight into the extent of how common these spoken
dialects are in Kazakhstan and which dialects are most prominent?  Our goal
will be to create a baseline using the dialect (or dialects) most commonly
used among educated people and in communication mediums such as national
news broadcasts.

Thanks!

Chris Pike
Item Development Manager