Russian identity

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Wed Nov 4 20:13:00 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues -
The usual problem is to confuse national identity with national
character.  Another problem is to confuse ethnic Russian (russkii)
with Russian citizenship (Rossiiskii).  Another problem is to decide
when an ethic Russian can also be an ethnic X (e.g., "russkii evrei" -
but "russkii nemets" ? - here in Berlin they say the latter expression
is possible).  And there are many more problems.  Was Stalin a
Russian?  What was the "identity" of Trotsky?  Vasilii Grossman?  How
is Russian identity viewed by nationalists, as opposed to liberals?
The topic is a huge swamp.  If you like bog-trotting, have a look at
some of the books on my web site:

http://Rancour-Laferriere.com

With regards to the list -

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere