recent AOL incident

put your name here WilliamDerbyshire Wwdslovene at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 25 23:36:42 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues:
By now 23 subscribers whose subscriptions to SEELANGS were automatically
deleted
by AOL recently have received a personal and very detailed letter from our
excellent list
owner Alex Rudd. I wish to thank Alex for his attention to this matter and
his devotion to
SEELANGS over the years. He performs a great service to our profession. And
 please
allow this letter to serve as a warning to others who subscribe to SEELANGS
 through
other e-mail services so that they do not cause themselves or others
problems similar to
the recent incident with AOL.
Briefly, the unfortunate incident with AOL occurred because a  number of
members were
sending SEELANGS postings to their spam box on a repeated basis. Please DO
NOT
do that! When AOL sees repeated rejections of postings, it assumes that
the list in question
is sending out undesirable messages (solicitations, porno or the like).
Those people who have
been sending to their spam box messages with a subject line of no  personal
interest caused 23
SEELANGS subscribers to be unsubscribed by AOL. If a message is of no
interest,  please
just push the DELETE button, but do not send the message to spam.

I immediately re-subscribed to SEELANGS, and listings are coming  through
just fine - so far !!
Thank you.

William W. Derbyshire
Professor Emeritus - Rutgers  University