student safety/Western agendas

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 28 17:32:22 UTC 2009

No, I'm not talking about folks like Prokhanov or scare quotes. I'm talking
about people who are well-educated, well-spoken, and generally liberal, but
who feel comfortable uttering racist or ethnic slurs. I can't find it right
now, but a Danish? Finnish? (can't remember) researcher has been tracking
this and noticed that ethnic/racist slurs have entered the realm of "polite
discourse."

I also wanted to comment on the notion of "Western interference" mentioned
in several posts. I have worked with several Russian NGOs, including in
human rights, and it really, really, truly, cross my heart is not a case of
naglye (or deluded do-gooder) Westerners popping in and force-feeding our
inappropriate agenda. They seek us. Let me say that again, even louder: They
come to Western organizations for funding and to some extent assistance. It
is their agenda. It is their need. It is their desire to change something.
They want our help. And they want our funds, because an NGO tracking hate
crimes or one advocating for gay rights or one monitoring elections is not
likely to find financing in Russia.

There are a few cases of Russian NGOs that appeared at the bidding of
funders in the 90s and have turned into full-fledged Russian organizations,
who now get funding from a variety of sources, including Russian business
and government.  Talking off the top of my head, I think the NGOs -- like
for health care reform -- that didn't have a popular/political/social base
pretty much died out.  But the ones that served a real need have stuck
around.