salon painting

Sara Pankenier Weld spankenier at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 15 19:39:36 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,
I will be teaching Pavlova's <Dvoinaia zhizn'> as part of a
nineteenth-century literature survey course and thought I would try to
recreate a literary salon environment for our discussion of the novel. To
that end, I am trying to come up with a Russian painting of a
nineteenth-century salon or such setting that I could project in the
background. Any ideas?

The best I have come up with so far is Bashkirtseva's "L'atelier Julian,"
since it is of the right era and represents women's craft, but I wonder if I
can do better. I welcome your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Sara Pankenier

Visiting Lecturer
Department of Russian