Primary Source on Soviet interest in western goods/culture 50s-70s

Rachel Applebaum rapple at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 16 14:25:27 UTC 2009

Dear List Members,

I'm going to be teaching an introductory undergraduate course on
"Russian civilization" in the winter, which will be mostly based on
primary source material (in English, including fiction). I'm looking
for a text to assign about Soviet interest in Western (American/
European) popular culture/and or goods in the Khrushchev or Brezhnev
period. I was thinking for instance of Aksenov's Starry Ticket, but
it's too long and the translation strikes me as stilted. Ideally I'd
like to find something under 100-150 pages. It could be a novella,
diary, memoir, archival document, film, anything really.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Rachel Applebaum
PhD Candidate, Russian and East European History
University of Chicago