Primary Source on Soviet interest in western goods/culture 50s-70s

Sasha Senderovich sasha.senderovich at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 16 15:37:02 UTC 2009

A wonderful depository of (mostly nostalgically portrayed) images of Soviet
interest in American culture in the 1950s can be found in Valerii
Todorovsky's film "Stiliagi" that came out in Russia last winter. I saw it
in Russia so I don't know whether a subtitled copy exists yet. But even if
it doesn't, the film could yield productive clips that could work without
translation - the film is a musical, so clips would demonstrate the
appropriation of musical forms, fashions, etc.  For the purposes of your
course this would not provide the primary text that you are looking for, but
might yield a few minutes of additional "contextual" illustration (with a
caveat that these images come from a 2009 film made at the time when
Russia's interest in America is different from that of the 1950s).

For a quick reference, the Russian wikipedia has a fairly detailed entry on
this film:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8F%D0%B3%D0%B8_%28%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BC,_2008%29

All the best,
Sasha Senderovich

Sasha Senderovich, PhD candidate
Slavic Languages and Literatures, Harvard
senderov at fas.harvard.edu