Rising Russian Enrollments

RYLKOVA,GALINA S grylkova at UFL.EDU
Fri Oct 16 19:36:30 UTC 2009

Most of my first-year students want to work in Russia eventually
in different capacities. This was the number one reason for taking
Russian they gave on a questionnaire. Others want to distinguish
themselves and look good when they apply to medical schools, etc.
I would qualify Russian-American relations as not bad (neplokhie).
They are neither perfect, nor bad, which seems to be beneficial
for generating interest in Russian.
All the best,
Galina Rylkova

On Fri Oct 16 15:24:20 EDT 2009, "Michele A. Berdy"
<maberdy at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> I'm quite astonished by the increased numbers cited here. The
> rising enrollments do seem to support the observation that when
> relations are bad, the number of Russian-language students goes
> up; when relations are good, they go down. But why speculate? Has
> anyone asked these kids why they are taking Russian?
>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web
> Interface at:

Galina S. Rylkova
Associate Professor of Russian
Undergraduate Coordinator for Russian Studies
Literatures, Languages and Cultures
Office hours: M,W,F - 4.05-4.55
256 Dauer Hall
University of Florida