Rising Russian Enrollments

Devin Browne dpbrowne at MAC.COM
Sat Oct 17 02:11:55 UTC 2009

Might the uptick be linked to the incentive to study critical languages like
Russian?  Has the US governments critical language money filtered down to
undergrad students yet?  There is federal money "out there" for the study of
Russian (and other LCTLs deemed critical under Bush II) and I remember
seeing quite a bit of press for it a few years ago.  As a high school
teacher, I've been encouraging my students to keep studying Russian, that
there's money out there for students who continue their study of Russian,
even if it's not their actual major, is what I recall reading -- that they
just have to continue their studies of the language alongside their other
studies.  But is this true?  How does the $$ get from the feds to the
college students?  Is it through the university language departments?
 National centers for Russian studies?  What specifically does an undergrad
student do to access this supposed money?

Thanks to the person who brought up this topic.  It's interesting to hear
about institutions that are seeing increased enrollments!

Devin